Quarterly Highlights from NCU
School of Education
- Linda Bloomberg, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) and Barry Grant, Ph.D. (Program Director) presented Teaching Faculty to Teach Online: a Comprehensive Faculty Development Approach at the 2014 Annual Conference on Distance Teaching & Learning.
- Jeannette Lovern, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) and Susan Krause (Manager of the Academic Success Center) presented Graduate Students Need Tutoring Too: Promoting Autonomous Learning Through Academic Coaching at the UNM Mentoring Conference in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Donald Sternberg, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) presented Managing Daily Operations: How Each Day Is Another Opportunity for Continued Success at Stony Brook University in Stony Brook, New York.
- Jeanne Fox, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) continues to volunteer for Lantern Floating Hawaii.
- David Hildebrandt, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) has a book chapter being published by the International Telecommunications Union, a mission of the United Nations (to be released at the ITU Global Meeting in 2015).
- Scott Ebbrecht, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) presented the Next Generation State of Ohio/PARCC Assessments at the Summer State Meeting of Test Directors/Assessment Coordinators, in Columbus, Ohio.
- Brian Bontempo, Ed.D. (Adjunct Faculty) was appointed as the President Elect of the Ohio Educational Service Center Association.
School of Psychology
- Bruce McNellie, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) presented Applied Ethics at the Texas Chapter of the National Association of Social Workers, in San Marcos, Texas.
- Dora Finamore, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) authored Fixed and Growth Mindset in Education: How Grit Helps Students Persist In the Face of Adversity, a paper published in the Journal of International Education Research.
- Alycia Harris, Ph.D. (Core Faculty) presented Solution Focused Teaching and served as a panelist for Learner Interaction: How Much Is Necessary in Online Discussions and Assignments at the Annual Conference for the American Association of Adult and Continuing Education, in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Nancy Zingrone, Ph.D. (Core Faculty) co-organized the online conference, Parapsychology and Psychology: Research and Theory.
School of Business and Technology Management
- Joe DiRenzo III, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) co-authored the paper Caught Off Guard, with Vice Admiral Dean Lee and LCDR Leah Cole, which was been published by the Naval Institute in Proceedings magazine. He was also the Key Note Speaker at Los Angeles' 2014 Emergency Management Department Conference.
School of Marriage and Family Sciences
- James Billings, Ph.D. (Dean) was elected as the Chair-Elect for the Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education (COAMFTE). He will serve as Chair Elect in 2015, and in 2016 he will serve one year as the Chair of the COAMFTE.
- Darren Adamson, Ph.D. (Assistant Dean), James Billings, Ph.D. (Dean) and Branden Henline, Ph.D. (Vice President of Teaching & Learning) presented a three hour workshop entitled, Distance Based MFT Education and Supervision, at the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy National Conference in Milwaukee, Wisc., on October 18, 2014.
- Annabelle Goodwin, Ph.D. (Faculty, School of Marriage and Family Sciences), Tara Lehan, Ph.D., (Director of Assessment, Graduate School), and Alanna Vitucci (D.B.A., candidate) had their abstract A Study of the Career Experiences of Female Faculty Members Teaching at Northcentral University accepted for presentation at the 17th Annual International Conference on Women in Education to be in held at Oxford University, in Oxford, U.K.
- Valerie Glass’s, Ph.D. (Core Faculty) book chapter We Are with Family: Black Lesbian Couples Negotiate Rituals with Extended Families has been published in Queerying Families of Origin (Bertone, C., & Pallotta-Chiarolli, M., Eds.)
- Tequila Hill, Ph.D. (Adjunct Faculty) was elected by MFT's in the state of Georgia to serve on the Georgia Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (GAMFT) elections committee as a board member. They also presented at their local Dunwoody GAMFT chapter on the topic of Therapist Self-Care.
The Graduate School
- Robin Throne, Ph.D. (Dissertation Chair) had their proposal Moustakas’ Heuristic Research for Fictional Character Development accepted for presentation at the Eleventh International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois.
- Richard Remedios, Ph.D. (Dissertation Chair) has authored two papers that have been accepted for publication: Fear Appeals Used Prior to a High-stakes Examination: What Makes Them Threatening? in Learning and Individual Differences, and The Appraisal of Fear Appeals as Threatening or Challenging: Frequency of Use, Academic Self-efficacy and Subjective Value in Educational Psychology.
- Kelley Chappell, Ph.D. (Dissertation Chair) presented their paper A Quantitative Study on the Impact of Cardiac Coherence Training on Executive Functioning in Children at The Association of School Psychologists of Pennsylvania’s Fall Conference.
- Jill Blackwell, Ph.D. (Dissertation Chair) produced two stress management CDs - Stress Management 101: Imagery Exercises to Promote Sleep, Creativity Overall Health and Stress and Management 202: Imagery Exercises to Promote Relaxation, Coping and Overall Health. Both are available for purchase on iTunes.
- Kristin Koetting O’Byrne, Ph.D., (Dissertation Chair) and Heather Rasmussen, Ph.D. (Director, Graduate School) presented The How of Gratitude: Applications for Therapists, Families, Schools, and Organizations at the American Psychological Association conference. A conference attendee, who is a faculty member at Rotterdam University in The Netherlands, asked them to collaborate on a European Commission project involving seven European countries on Human Factors in Energy Consumption. The project proposal has been submitted and they are awaiting approval by the European Commission.
- Kristin Koetting O’Byrne, Ph.D., (Dissertation Chair), Heather Rasmussen, Ph.D. (Director, Graduate School), Stephanie Wallio, Ph.D. (Dissertation Chair), and Helen Zaikina Montgomery, Ph.D. (Director, Graduate School) presented Cultivating Scholars: Issues in Online Doctoral Education in Psychology at an American Psychological Association conference.
- Craig Barton, Ph.D. (Dissertation Chair) and NCU alumna Susan Lanham, Ph.D. (2013) have co-authored a paper Risk-Based Capital Analysis in Punitive Damages Litigation to be published in the Journal of Forensic & Investigative Accounting.
- Nicholas Harkiolakis, Ph.D. (Adjunct Dissertation Chair) published the book Multipreneurship: Diversification in Times of Crisis, which is available for sale on Amazon.com.
- Tara Lehan, Ph.D., (Director of Assessment, Graduate School), Annabelle Goodwin, Ph.D. (Faculty, School of Marriage and Family Sciences) and Alanna Vitucci (D.B.A., candidate) had their abstract A Study of the Career Experiences of Female Faculty Members Teaching at Northcentral University accepted for presentation at the 17th Annual International Conference on Women in Education held at Oxford University, in Oxford, U.K.