Alumni and Student Accomplishments
President George Burnett announced the following academic organizational changes on Thursday, July 9, 2015.
- John LaNear, PhD (SVP, Academic Affairs) will co-lead NCU’s new Program Approval and Implementation Task Force along with Eric Stoddard (Chief of Staff).
- Please join us in thanking Robert Haussmann, PhD (Dean, School of Psychology) who is leaving NCU after serving the University since 1999. He joined the University as a faculty mentor in the School of Behavioral and Health Sciences where he mentored over 1,800 students in core courses.
- With Dr. Haussmann’s departure, James Billings, PhD (Dean, School of Marriage and Family Sciences) will now oversee both the Schools of Marriage and Family Sciences and Psychology.
- Ray Rodriguez (Sr. Dir., Planning & Institutional Effectiveness) has been promoted to Associate Provost for Academic Operations, Planning and Institutional Effectiveness.
- Tara Lehan, PhD (Dir., Special Projects) will now serve as Director of Faculty and Student Resources.
Other announcements include:
- Melanie Shaw, PhD (Dissertation Chair), Kelley Walters, PhD (Director, Curriculum Development) and Karen Ferguson, PhD (VP, Retention & Student Success) presented From Failure to Fabulous: Turning Your Present Situation into a Full-Time Teaching Job at the Kappa Delta Pi Job Search Summit in Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Kelley Walters, PhD (Director, Curriculum Development) has been invited to serve on the editorial board of Early Childhood Research Quarterly, a journal of the National Association for Education of Young Children.
- Kelley Walters, PhD (Director, Curriculum Development) has been invited to serve as a contributing editor for Young Children, a journal of the National Association for Education of Young Children.
- Bettina Shapira, PhD (Assistant Dean) presented Treatment Protocol for Enuresis at the 51st Annual Conference for the South Carolina Counseling Association in Hilton Head, South Carolina.
- William (Bill) Northey, PhD (Director, Clinical Field Placements) presented You Want to Bring Who? Utilizing Family Strengths to Enhance Substance Abuse Treatment at The International Family Therapy Association’s 23rd World Family Therapy Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- William (Bill) Northey, PhD (Director, Clinical Field Placements) presented Advancing Family Therapy through Technology and Data Analytics at The International Family Association’s 23rd World Family Therapy Congress in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Rob Bryant (PhD Business Administration and Organizational Leadership, Candidate) holds a Guinness World Record for Rowing 3,280 miles.
- Brian Shrawder (PhD, Marriage and Family Therapy, Candidate) published “Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome” in the Sober World magazine.
- Jennifer Dozier (PhD, General Psychology, Candidate) was honored with the President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching at the 2014 Commencement Ceremony.
- Karla Carwile (PhD, General Psychology, Candidate) will be featured on the cover of Springfield’s Own magazine.
- Kurt Hubbard (PhD, Health Psychology/Behavioral Medicine, Candidate) will present Socializing Students: Mentorship in a Hybrid/Blended Curriculum at the American Occupational Therapy Association Annual Meeting.
- Elizabeth Cooke (PhD, Industrial Organization Psychology, Candidate) co-authored “Feasibility of a Palliative Care Intervention for Cancer Patients in Phase 1 Clinical Trials” in the Journal of Palliative Medicine.
- Jeremy Sundby (PhD, General Psychology, Candidate) was entered into the Golden Key Honor Society.
- Steve Harbour (PhD, Psychology, 2015) currently teaches as an adjunct faculty member for ERAU’s worldwide campus and serves as a Technical Expert for Controls and Displays at the US Department of the Air Force. Dr. Harbour is publishing and presenting at both the International Society for Photonic & Optical Engineering (SPIE) Defense Security & Sensing technologies (DSS) 2015 conference in Baltimore, MD and at the International Symposium on Aviation Psychology (ISAP) 2015 conference at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio.
- Debi Smith-Racanelli (CAGS, Gender Studies, 2012) published a parenting book in October, 2014 titled "Between Baby Dolls and Boyfriends: How to Successfully Navigate Your Daughter’s Tween Years."
- Brian Kufner (PhD, Business Administration, 2012) presented What Students Need to Know to Not Get Fired at the 2015 National Business Education Association (NBEA) National Convention in Chicago, IL.
- Kirby Reutter (PhD, General Psychology, 2014) published “Effects of Spirituality & Religiosity on Stress, Anxiety, Depression: Mediation, Moderation, or Moderated Mediation.” Dr. Reutter was also invited to present research at MIT in Cambridge, MA.
- Leonard (Lenny) Favara (PhD, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2011) published “Putting Followership on the Map” in the Journal of Business & Leadership. Dr. Favara was also named Provost of Central Christian College of Kansas.
- Ronald DeBlanc(MAPsy, General Psychology, 2011) started an Addiction Treatment Outpatient Program named, dba Girls/Guys off Drugs (GOD) Program. DeBlanc is also a Licensed Independent Chemical Dependent Chemical Dependency Counselor-Clinical Supervisor (LICD-CS) holding the highest credential one can hold for addiction counselor from the Ohio Chemical Dependency Professional Board.
- Rodger Adair (PhD, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, 2013) is currently an Assistant Professor of Management at DeVry University.
- Nick Kenien (PhD, Health Psychology, 2014) published “The Impact of Cardiac Coherence on Executive Functioning in Children with Emotional Disturbances” in Global Advances in Health and Medicine.
- Peter Thompson (PhD, General Psychology, 2012) was named School Psychologist of the Year in the State of Colorado.
- Ophelia Austin-Small (PhD, General Psychology, 2014) was hired as Community Prevention and Treatment Services Program Director for Whitney M. Young Health Center in Albany, New York.
- Susan Lanham (PhD, Business Administration, 2013) published “Risk-Based Capital Analysis in Punitive Damages Litigation” for the Journal of Forensic & Investigative Accounting.